Piping under Big Ben

Got a camera phone, scanner or digital camera? Then post your piping pictures here. Just be aware that that any inappropriate pictures will be dealt with a severe lack of sense of humour.
Greg_in_London

Piping under Big Ben

Post by Greg_in_London » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:26 pm

Thought people might like this picture of a small group of the Castle Pipers (as in Elephant and Castle) supporting the march to protect public sector pensions eighteen months ago. The photo was taken by by Duncan Robertson. I'm at the back on the right without a saffron kilt.

Greg[/img]
Attachments
tucpensionsmarch 031.jpg
My first time of doing this - if its difficult to see the whole picture I'll try resizing - let me know.
tucpensionsmarch 031.jpg (470.3 KiB) Viewed 8845 times
better sharp than out of tune

Drum Sgt & Piper
Post by Drum Sgt & Piper » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:14 pm

The girl piper is Louise,she used to play for the pipe band I first started with as a drummer, she also used to be a drummer.

Her and her sister Joanne some times play for the 2nd band I'm in.

The guy to her left can't think of his name, used to play for the London Irish Rifles Regimental Pipe Band lol I used to be lead tip for them too lol.

..../
O///
[ ]
/_\
.II

http://www.celticfringe.co.uk
Sadly not able to play any more because of health and not able to walk.

Greg_in_London

where are they now ?

Post by Greg_in_London » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:55 pm

Both Lou and Johanna play in the Castle Pipers - Johanna runs the band although I insist on calling it an ensemble. The other piper is Jerry and the drummer you can't see is Jamie, who also plays in the London Scottish. There's quite a few more, but they couldn't make the march on the day.

Greg

KevinD

Post by KevinD » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:21 am

What demonstration were you at, lol, I can see a sign in the background :P , otherwise, nice picture!

Drum Sgt & Piper
Post by Drum Sgt & Piper » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:41 am

Resized
..../
O///
[ ]
/_\
.II

http://www.celticfringe.co.uk
Sadly not able to play any more because of health and not able to walk.

Greg_in_London

What was the march ?

Post by Greg_in_London » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:13 pm

The march was a joint effort by TUC and the National Pensioners' Campaign. Basically we didn't see why we should pay into a pension for tenty years or more and then not get what we've paid for. Teachers (ie my union - NASUWT) were successful and we keep our existing arrangements although new people get a new scheme. Other public sector workers got left out of the agreement somehow, so there's going to be pretty major shutdowns on 28th March. I think they're right, you can't take people's money and then change your mind. The march itself was from the Temple to Trafalgar Square by quite a convoluted route, passing Parliament on the way.

Greg