Welsh and Breton Tunes

Place to blether and haver ;-)
Greg_in_London

Welsh and Breton Tunes

Post by Greg_in_London » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:26 pm

I clicked on the new sponsor link for Welsh and Breton tunes - it looks quite interesting. It took me a moment to realise that they are US based, but then I thought a bit about the American Welsh communities that I've heard about and it made more sense.

There are a couple of tunes on the preview of the book which seem okay. Interestingly they're set for bagpipes. The other tunes that they have in TIFF format are set for other instruments. $30 for the book isn't that cheap, but for something unusual I suppose it's not that expensive either.

Have a look all the same. See what you think.
better sharp than out of tune

Greg_in_London

Post by Greg_in_London » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:31 am

Does this mean that no-one looked or no-one had anything to say ?

jwhite@wlu.edu

Post by jwhite@wlu.edu » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:59 pm

I got this for Fathersday, and it is a pretty good book. The tunes are not that complex, but they are a lot of fun to play, and they do give you the sense that you are playing a different kind of music. I don't know that I will ever play more than ten tunes in the book, but the ones I am playing now I really like.

It is a wonder that we are so spoiled with all the free music we can get through this site and others. When I started out it was bad xerox's of whatever the PM wanted you to play, or tunes from a book that you had never gotten to hear. I love technology.
"Instead of preaching forty year,
I wish I had stuck to pipes and beer."

-Thomas Hardy

bobsmith
Post by bobsmith » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:20 pm

You lucky devil. When I started there was no such thing as Xerox; we sat down and copied every blessed dot by pen and ink into a pre-ruled manuscript book. There was no such thing as ball-point pens either!

Greg_in_London

Post by Greg_in_London » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:57 pm

There were ball point pens when I started, but I had to use a ruler to draw out the lines.

After a couple of years we started to have some VERY grey, shiny xeroxes, though.