V3 Drier System-Good or Bad?

Place to blether and haver ;-)
whistleboy

Post by whistleboy » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:37 am

We have one player in our band who is a staunch advocate of the V3.

The only thing that doesn't sit well in my mind is that there is no moisture/humidity control over the chanter reed. All of the drone stocks are attached to the hoses, but not the chanter.

I'm sure you can get kitty-litter inserts for each stock, so a V3 plus an insert for your chanter would cover you nicely. Alternatively, you could look at getting the Geoff Ross system which covers all four.
The world is at its darkest just before it goes completely black.

Piperjohn30

Post by Piperjohn30 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:53 am

:D I use the V3 system, and have two views about it.
Playing : The residual air pressure valves in each drone tube makes striking in so easy, and also allows the piper to blow to the last note without fear of groaning when the tune is finished.
With a tube and condensing bottle from the blow pipe, I don't find chanter reed moisture protection necessary as the pellet canister draws all moisture from the bag. :D
Storing : The canister should be removed and kept in a sealable plastic bag as it draws any available moisture. If the canister has absorbed a lot of moisture, stick it in the microwave, full power for 30 secs.
The system also balances the drones. My bass drone used to roar in my left ear, preventing me from properly hearing the two tenors, but with the V3, all drones are even and sound great. :lol: Only down side is the bag seems to contain a junk yard in it. :P
I do two kinds of birl, one on the pipes, and one before collapsing.

James
Post by James » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:10 pm

i dont like it. i find it very hard for air to get through to my drones. im not a fan or R matheison which doesnt help ;) its very big. and overall i think its horrible. ill stick to my shepherd tone enhancers

Paul Wright

Post by Paul Wright » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:39 pm

How big is the cylinder? I'm thinking of buying one. I used the Ross canister but found it was too big. However I might give this on a try as it has drying, quick stopping valves and pressure regulating features (Or so I'm lead to believe). £55 from the college of piping - is that a good price?