DIRTY RICE 'N HAGGIS (Jig-Stomp)

A great place to find new tunes. If you have composed your own tune, you can upload it here to let other pipers learn it and perhaps get some feedback. PLEASE ONLY UPLOAD TUNES YOU HAVE COMPOSED YOURSELF OR HAVE EXPRESS PERMISION FROM THE COMPOSER TO DO SO.
Please only create a new topic in this forum if you are uploading a tune.
  • Tune Database entry

david n. siegel

DIRTY RICE 'N HAGGIS (Jig-Stomp)

Post by david n. siegel » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:52 pm

The high A's are more or less rests, in the fashion that has been popular in piping for some years now. Thus this tune won't sound quite right on the practice chanter, and requires a nicely tuned set for the melody to come out.

I composed this for the Hurricane victims of the Gulf Coast of the United States. There's an old black tradition in New Orleans which says that when you go into a cemetary, you play slowly and mournfully, but coming out, its party time. Well, the coast down there has had a full measure of tragedy, but I think that a lot of the folks down there will know when to start playing happy music again.

So, I present this "shrimp shack stick stomp."

-David.
Attachments
OOGC Jig 6-8 DIRTY RICE 'N' HAGGIS.bww
(7.65 KiB) Downloaded 1348 times
dirtyricenhaggis.GIF
dirtyricenhaggis.GIF (25.33 KiB) Viewed 20229 times
dirtyricenhaggis.mid
(26.03 KiB) Downloaded 1963 times

awpiper

Post by awpiper » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:15 pm

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!...........Has a nice Irish Jig Sound to it.....I could picture Irish Hardshoe dancers doing something brilliant with this one!....
Cait Am Biodh Na Puirt Nach Faigheadh Na Piobairean
(Where would the tunes be the pipers could not find)

piob_jadis

Post by piob_jadis » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:48 am

I love it! Well done; I shall definitely be learning that one.

NessieNoo

Post by NessieNoo » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:31 am

That's wicked. I'd love to play it but my fingers are going to need somehelp.

david n. siegel

Post by david n. siegel » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:08 pm

Almost all of the technique in this tune derives from the speed at which it needs to be played for the bottom hand melody to come out. Its not so bad if you play it slowly to get used to the notes, then speed up only gradually. It seems a lot more difficult than it really is.

It is part of a style I have also worked on in 2/4 time in the 6th part of the hornpipe INS Leviatan, a couple of pages back at this site.

Feel free to copy it and pass it around. I own the copyright! If I hear someone enjoyed the tune, than I consider myself well-paid.

Thanks All,
-David.

Spanishpiper

Post by Spanishpiper » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:59 am

Once again, King David, you have outdone yourself! WONDERFUL! I play this tune for step dancers to dance to and it is very nice. We choreographed a set of interaction between both hard shoe and soft shoe dancers. For the hard shoe dancers I play at normal speed, then as the soft shoes enter it slows, but only slightly. Then it speeds back up. In a separate solo performance, this tune recieved a standing ovation so I pass the applause on to you.

Also, I noticed the similarity with part 6 of the INS Leviathan and was kind of wondering what it came from! Well done sir!

callanish

Post by callanish » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:10 pm

Wow! Each tune of yours I look at keeps getting better and better. This one will definitely require a good deal of time and practice to get up to speed, but it's brilliant! Thanks for sharing these great tunes with us.

Seahorse

Post by Seahorse » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:06 pm

How appropriate. I'm currently offshore out of New Orleans. :)

I've a week to practice this before going home, then maybe a month to get it right on the pipes before I come back. I'll really need to bring my pipes next time. Perhaps I should go busking down Bourbon Street with this fantastic tune. :D

I hope you don't mind David, but I have converted it to Piobmaster format.
Attachments
Dirty Rice n Haggis.pio
(80.2 KiB) Downloaded 524 times

Piper in the making

Post by Piper in the making » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:16 pm

Awesome tune! Well done! :)
I'm trying to learn the highland bagpipes- it's a very interesting insturment and I'm working hard on my practice chanter.

happypiper

Great Tune

Post by happypiper » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:04 am

Very Well Done. Forget The Fiddlers Rally & Blue Cloud
Everyone Should Be Playing This
One Of The Best Tunes I've Heard in Years
I'll Be Play'in It To Death :twisted:

glen

Post by glen » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:13 pm

Well done. It is an excellent jig. I only missed to find a few doublings in certain notest.