A new composition

A great place to find new tunes. If you have composed your own tune, you can upload it here to let other pipers learn it and perhaps get some feedback. PLEASE ONLY UPLOAD TUNES YOU HAVE COMPOSED YOURSELF OR HAVE EXPRESS PERMISION FROM THE COMPOSER TO DO SO.
Please only create a new topic in this forum if you are uploading a tune.
  • Tune Database entry
  • Tune Name: Callums Tune

• Tune Type: 4/4 March

• Composed By: John W. frater

• Arranged By:

• Year Composed: 2003

JOHN FRATER

A new composition

Post by JOHN FRATER » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:37 pm

Composed for my grandson when he was 6 years of age. He is now 8 and learning to play th pipes
Attachments
Callums Tune.bww
(2.76 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
Callums Tune.bww
(2.76 KiB) Downloaded 875 times

david n. siegel

Post by david n. siegel » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:03 am

This tune is structured nicely, with nice attention to variation. There is no doubt that it would sound pleasant on a nice pipe. Being a 4/4, with 4 parts, I would recommend harmony/partial harmony for the repeats. I would also be wary of playing this too slowly. (Small point: You've got an F in the first bar that wants a G grace, but that may be typo.)

The tune may not have a distinctive "hook," that is, a phrase which causes the musical to turn their heads and say, "Hey," you have made a tune that could sound beautiful with a harmony on repeat, and a nice, not too slow tempo. I am a fan of "pastoral" classical music, which offers a peaceful interlude, as opposed to booming tympani and frenetic bowing.

While I thought it bland at first listen, it grew on me when I upped the tempo a bit, and I played a harmony along with it in my head. Mind you, bland is not inherently negative in my book. It can be the white rice that the hot Szeshuan dishes need to complete the taste medely. If only Chris Armstrong had a few quiet melodic pieces between his rhythmic prestidigitations on a few of his CDs! I can whistle your tune.

-David.