Troy & Gwynne's Wedding

A great place to find new tunes. If you have composed your own tune, you can upload it here to let other pipers learn it and perhaps get some feedback. PLEASE ONLY UPLOAD TUNES YOU HAVE COMPOSED YOURSELF OR HAVE EXPRESS PERMISION FROM THE COMPOSER TO DO SO.
Please only create a new topic in this forum if you are uploading a tune.
  • Tune Database entry

ManOnPipes

Troy & Gwynne's Wedding

Post by ManOnPipes » Tue May 16, 2006 12:04 am

SHORT STORY: Here's a tune I composed about a year ago and performed for it's first time this past weekend at my friend's wedding. I'm curious to hear folks' thoughts on this, but I don't intend on making any big changes.

LONGER STORY: This tune popped out of my head last June the way most of the few tunes I've comp'ed have -- it just kinda does, I write down as best I can or record the tune and get the dots worked out with my instructor later. I originally wrote a 2nd part to this, but didn't particularly like it -- sounded like filler. When I took the tune to my instructor, he kyboshed my 2nd part agreeing that it was bog-water and kyboshed it, and with my permission writing a new 2nd part. Late last year when my friends announced their wedding plans and asked that I play their cerimony, I thought I might learn Troy's Wedding for the occasion... but then thinking that it's not just his day but her's too, I pulled out my own jig, previously un-named. Over this past holiday season, my instructor & I further tweaked this tune, and then the best-man (another mutual friend of the wedding party's) and I gave it it's HUGELY memorable name. I still own the tune, but it bears their name; soon, the now-married-couple will have a nice looking copy of the notation on good paper along with an audio recording I made of their entire event. I would have posted this earlier, but I wanted to make it theirs first; it was great getting to be of service to these two friends, and I've enjoyed permanently marking the occasion with a tune. (Lets hope I don't have to comp "Troy & Gwynne's Nasty & Unfortunate Divorce"... and since neither of them are pipers, probably won't be the case. LOL) I played this tune as part of their recessional.

*** EDIT *** PLEASE NOTE, THE BELOW ATTACHMENT IS THE INCORRECT UP-LOAD -- PLEASE SCROLL A FEW POSTS DOWN FOR THE CORRECT DOTS. ***
Attachments
Troy & Gwynne's Wedding, May 2006 - DPS jig 06.14.05.bww
Copyright protected; please contact me if you are interested in performing, recording, etc this tune -- no worries, I'll most likely give you a "yes".
(2.6 KiB) Downloaded 696 times
Last edited by ManOnPipes on Tue May 16, 2006 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Liam Kernaghan
Post by Liam Kernaghan » Tue May 16, 2006 4:49 am

I dont no who would be able to play that amount of G Gracenotes in succession... But... It doesnt make musical sence...
Nor does the bar after that...

I dont understand why we have to ask you to play it. I thought the point in this was to share the tunes...

:roll:

david n. siegel

Post by david n. siegel » Tue May 16, 2006 3:52 pm

All those G gracenotes--are they what you intended? They need to be fixed on an actual note, as one cannot go from G gracenote to G gracenote all by its lonesome.

Do you intend some kind of long trilling effect? Since you have played the tune, and it was no doubt received well by your close friends, then do give us some clue about those strings of G graces.

I am curious,
-David.

ManOnPipes

Whoops

Post by ManOnPipes » Tue May 16, 2006 6:37 pm

OOPS -- I uploaded the 'personal-notes' copy -- lets try again.
Attachments
Troy & Gwynne's Wedding, 13 May 2006.bww
Copyright protected; please contact me if you are interested in performing, recording, etc this tune -- no worries, I'll most likely give you a "yes".
(1.95 KiB) Downloaded 684 times

ManOnPipes

...interesting

Post by ManOnPipes » Tue May 16, 2006 6:43 pm

Looking at these... y'all got to see some of the back story -- my original comp (the 1st post) with the big-whoopie 2nd part written by your's truely.

So anyway ... interested to hear your thoughts on the now correct set of uploaded dots.

Liam Kernaghan
Post by Liam Kernaghan » Wed May 17, 2006 4:55 am

Hmm...

4th bar of the 1st part is extremly pointed, and doesnt actually flow. Is that supposed to be like that???

Im still interested on why we need to ask you to play the tune. I dont see in any Donald McLeod or Willie Ross books "Ask me first before you play this tune"....

ManOnPipes

Its just copyright

Post by ManOnPipes » Wed May 17, 2006 8:20 pm

Please, play the tune to your heart's content -- and I hope you enjoy doing so. I've only reiterated copyright law as I understand it.
I tend to be long-winded -- which is why I've done the "Long/Short" thing -- so those who want things summed up quick, read the "SHORT", and those who want more sizzle to their steak, read the "LONG" & the "SHORT".

So "SHORT" is kinda like this...
While technically you don't have to "ask" to use a tune, legally you are responsible to pay for use of a tune that is copyrighted. A tune that has been composed by a person who is alive is copyrighted by the nature of them having composed it; if the composer died w/in the past 70yrs, the tune is still under copyright.
As an example to this -- when an individual or band records a copyrighted tune and sells 1000 CDs, royalties amount to a whole whopping $80.50USD.
With me, if you're doing more than playing this tune at a small-time event & getting paid for your services (recording with intent of large sales, broadcasting, performing as a part of a large tour), contact me first & you will likely save yourself a few bucks.

The "LONG"...
My interest/concern is this ...
... If an individual/band/etc wants to play the tune for a (paid) gig -- fine, who cares?
... If an individual/band/etc wants to record the tune and make a small production, in keeping with copyright law I would want to be contacted with respects to royalties, if its a small run (500-1000 units) I'll likely say "Have fun!" free of royalties in exchange for credit & a copy of the finished product.
... If an individual/band/etc _happens_ to like the tune, wants to record it and make a large production, broadcast the recording, and/or play the tune on a large tour, I'd likely say "Have fun!" free of royalties HOWEVER I am reiterating that I wish to retain my legal control over the tune and decide as per the performer's intention.

While in Highland piping we seem to tend to disregard copyright law, it still no less applies -- and while it technicly applies when we play a new tune like Ass In The Graveyard or Clumsy Lover at a wedding (or wherever) we've been paid to play, when we get further involved with our work it pays to know a thing or two more about copyright law.

For more information, talk to Neil Dickie -- I'm in the process of making an album & he was one of the 1st folks I contacted to learn more. There are also some great websites out there, particularly those that have a cultural-music focus.

viperpiper
Site Admin

Post by viperpiper » Thu May 18, 2006 7:30 am

That's a good summary of a practical and sensible approach to performance copyright. All the composers of the tunes in this section still own the copyright on their pieces and should be asked for permission, and if required payed, if their piece is used in a recording or book.

Liam Kernaghan
Post by Liam Kernaghan » Thu May 18, 2006 9:00 am

Fair enough.

Enjoy writing :)