The Rocky Balalaika

A great place to find new tunes. If you have composed your own tune, you can upload it here to let other pipers learn it and perhaps get some feedback. PLEASE ONLY UPLOAD TUNES YOU HAVE COMPOSED YOURSELF OR HAVE EXPRESS PERMISION FROM THE COMPOSER TO DO SO.
Please only create a new topic in this forum if you are uploading a tune.

What do you think?

Very Good
25%
Pretty Good
13%
Average
50%
Pretty Bad
13%
Very Bad
No votes

Total votes: 8

• Tune Database entry
  • Tune Name: The Rocky Balalaika

• Tune Type: 5/8 Jig

• Composed By: Roy Clearwater

• Arranged By:

• Year Composed: 2006

Roy

The Rocky Balalaika

Post by Roy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:52 am

Hey, Heres a little jig i composed. Its a bit different. Please fill in the poll and or leave a comment with your thoughts. Thanks. Roy.
Attachments
The Rocky Balalaika.bww
(2.87 KiB) Downloaded 609 times
The Rocky Balalaika.mid
(8.13 KiB) Downloaded 613 times
Last edited by Roy on Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alek

Post by Alek » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:29 am

Very interesting. I don't expect I'll see too many 5/8 jigs in my life, but this one works.

Roy

Post by Roy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:42 am

Thanks Alek, Yes it is unusual. I actually composed the tune while playing northumbrian smallpipes. Hence the time signature causing the pointed effect. I thought I would arrange it to work on highland pipes; my immediate thoughts would be to change it to 6/8 time and play it round on highland pipes, So i wrote out the music, but in my opinion it lost the tunes effect and nice rythmic flow, so i thought I would do somthing different and leave it in 5/8 timing. Probably too away from the standard for most peoples liking, but If your looking for a easy flowing tune that is just a little bit different, then it works quite well. Thanks. Roy.

Elias

Post by Elias » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:26 am

Great 5/8 Jig. Id like to see other songs like this.

Roy

Post by Roy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:58 am

Thanks Elias! It seems to be a tune that you either really like, or really dont! I dont think ull find 2 many other jigs in 5/8 time. Well i guess it is more of a dance than a jig as it doesnt have true jig rythym. I dont think ill compose anything more like this, but it was something different to try out and see peoples opinions on. Thanks.

Lexxicos

Post by Lexxicos » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:49 am

Could you possibly post it in jpeg or gif format? It sounds amazing.

Much obliged.

Roy

Post by Roy » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:03 am

Hi Lexxicos, I have just posted a JPG file of the tune. Please let me know if you get it and what you think. Thanks. Roy.
Attachments
The Rocky Balalaika.jpg
The Rocky Balalaika.jpg (87.2 KiB) Viewed 11289 times

david n. siegel

Post by david n. siegel » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:06 pm

Any 5/8 dance tradition? This is a big area of ignorance for me. I could swear that some jigs I have heard on uilleann pipes--written in 6/8--are closer to 5/8.

Be tough for a lot of Highland pipers not to dot that first 8th in the group.

Is this time common, or at least not unusual, in the Northumbrian pipe world?

I like the piece...
-David.

Roy

Post by Roy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:25 pm

Thanks David. 5/8 time does come up a little bit in northumbrian and uilleann pipe world! but no, it is not common. The tendency is write the tune with a dotted quaver and a semiquaver to balance it out and write it in 6/8 time. However I totally agree with you, that when you listen to both northumbrian and uilleann pipers, and when i play both instruments myself I naturally dont play the dotted quaver to its full value length. So when I wrote this tune (and one or 2 others) I decided to write it in 5/8 time and actually play it musically correct! I think on Northumbrian pipes the cause of doing this is, is becuase of the closed fingering system (only lifing one finger at once and the bottom of the chanter is closed off) This gives the music a sort of jumpy rythym and to keep the rythym flowing it seems that you natural end up playing in 5/8. I think the cause on uilleann pipes is much the same. Jumping between the octaves your fingers get a little excited sometimes and naturally get into the 5/8 time aswell. But that may just be me becuase im not the greatest of uilleann pipers yet! But to answer your question, no 5/8 is not what i would call common in any bagpipe world! and I play quite a few pipes. Cheers Roy.