The Twa Pondie Pipers

A great place to find new tunes. If you have composed your own tune, you can upload it here to let other pipers learn it and perhaps get some feedback. PLEASE ONLY UPLOAD TUNES YOU HAVE COMPOSED YOURSELF OR HAVE EXPRESS PERMISION FROM THE COMPOSER TO DO SO.
Please only create a new topic in this forum if you are uploading a tune.
  • Tune Database entry
  • Tune Name: The Twa Pondie Pipers

• Tune Type: 6/8 Jig

• Composed By: David Alexander Hunter

• Arranged By:

• Year Composed: 2006

dhunter

The Twa Pondie Pipers

Post by dhunter » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:28 pm

3 Parted Jig, composed to mark the numerous occasions i have piped with my friend Iain McLean of Belfast in the Ponderosa in Tayport, Scotland.
Last edited by dhunter on Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Alexander Hunter
The Dundee Piper
www.dundeepiper.com

dhunter

Post by dhunter » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:38 pm

7 downloads of the BWW and nobody has told me what they think. I have spent time composing this tune, and then i give it to you for free, the least you can do is tell me your opinnion.

DH
David Alexander Hunter
The Dundee Piper
www.dundeepiper.com

Roy

Post by Roy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:20 pm

David, Good tune. I wasnt convinved the first time i listened, but i have listened to it 3 times now and can hear a good tune behind it. I found it very repetitive and a few more variations would make the tune. I also found the tune to have a very strong F sound! I just tryed this tune out with some of the F crotchets changed into a F natural quaver followed by a F quaver, this gave the tune a nice modern appeal. Overall i like it! Thanks! Roy.

david n. siegel

Post by david n. siegel » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:07 am

Dundee Piper,

It is always hard, perhaps impossible, to know what goes on with one's tunes once they are released into the ether. I have a jig, 'Round Cnaidhl Loch, with 2200+ hits on this site, and not one comment. I'm with you about wanting comments, but I guess it is up to the downloaders to do as they please.

I myself might prefer more of a community of constructive mutual musical criticism, but there's no saying what other equally valid downloading tastes, commenting priorities, internet habits, etc. are out there.

Some people might think that composers want to hear a raucous "Neat!" for every tune. Well, this is indeed nice sometimes. But, others out there might feel that if they can't say something nice, they won't say anything--even though a serious composers WANTS honest criticism. However, there is no condition or agreement here at this site that we must critique each other--I believe the intention is more open and "as you like" about commenting or not on music. Pluralistic, and user-shaped to a large extent.

I can only say that I have made a lot of changes over time from criticisms well meant, and well taken. Gems right out of the starting gate are few and far between for me.

Most musical critique I get these days is sent to my private email, usually not through this site at all. Who knows why, but in any case, keep up the composing, and perhaps cultivate a few good contacts for honest critque.

Thanks,
-David (of Galilee).

Alek

Post by Alek » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:50 pm

Sorry to be rude, but this is exactly like the tune I posted on this site not very long ago, "Khrom the Watermelon." I mean, almost exactly the same.

http://www.viperpiper.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5921

Mine was posted 17 July, yours on the 31. I can understand if you inadvertently pulled the same melodic line from your head and thought it was original (this has probably happened to us all somewhere along the line), but the coincidence is just a little too unsettling. Thank you in advance for understanding, but I would appreciate if you deleted this tune and did not take credit for it.

Roy

Post by Roy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:59 pm

Hi, It is very interesting that the two tunes have came up so similar! I know David Hunter (dundeepiper) and he is a good composer, piper and guy. He sends me his music and I give him my opinions on it. It happens that the date he sent me this tune was July the 13th. 4 days before Alec posted it. I understand Alecs view on the situation, If i had posted a tune and a couple of weeks later a just about identicle tune was posted by someone else I wouldnt be very happy either. But in this case, i believe it was a total mishap and unfortunate! Considering there is only 8 notes to work with, i believe people will come up with close to the same melodies now and then! So all i can say to the matter is good composers think the same way; and there should be know hard feelings for either of these two composers! Cheers Roy.

dhunter

Post by dhunter » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:29 pm

cheers for that Roy.

like roy said, i composed that a long time before i posted it here. but i always send roy a copy and then it's date stamped..

DH
David Alexander Hunter
The Dundee Piper
www.dundeepiper.com

Alek

Post by Alek » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:48 am

If that's the truth, then no hard feelings. Great minds do think alike, and coincidences happen. Thanks for your prudent responses.