Whitby Lift

A great place to find new tunes. If you have composed your own tune, you can upload it here to let other pipers learn it and perhaps get some feedback. PLEASE ONLY UPLOAD TUNES YOU HAVE COMPOSED YOURSELF OR HAVE EXPRESS PERMISION FROM THE COMPOSER TO DO SO.
Please only create a new topic in this forum if you are uploading a tune.
  • Tune Database entry
  • Tune Name: Whitby Lift

• Tune Type: 2/4 March

• Composed By: Paul Wright

• Arranged By: Paul Wright

• Year Composed: 2006

Paul Wright

Whitby Lift

Post by Paul Wright » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:13 pm

The hunt for a 2 part 2/4 of this particular mode brought be zero results, so for the first time I thought I would try my hand at writing something. A few that have heard it say it sounds familiar. If I have subconsciously copied another tune then please let me know. Also, any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Paul.
Attachments
Whitby Lift.bww
Whitby Lift
(2.04 KiB) Downloaded 656 times

dubblin_o_shea

Post by dubblin_o_shea » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:15 am

I like the tune. It's nice. It reminds me very much of a 2/4 march I know called farewell to scotland which can be found in the Seamus MacNeill collection vol.2. In my own opinion I think the musical flow stops in 2nd part which is not good. In the 2nd part first measure the doted 8th note F tied to the 16th note E is where the musical flow stops. I would replace that with a grouping of an F 8th note to aF 16th note and E 16th note. At the beginning of the gouping I would add a single G grace note and a High G doubling between the F 8th note and F 16th note. I would then apply this same rythmic concept to the 2nd measure of 2nd part as well. Also I would apply this to the 5th and 6th measures of the 2nd part as well.