THE Sharps at the beginning of the bww tunes is not needed

A great place to find new tunes. If you have composed your own tune, you can upload it here to let other pipers learn it and perhaps get some feedback. PLEASE ONLY UPLOAD TUNES YOU HAVE COMPOSED YOURSELF OR HAVE EXPRESS PERMISION FROM THE COMPOSER TO DO SO.
Please only create a new topic in this forum if you are uploading a tune.
  • Tune Database entry
  • Tune Name: HOW TO GET THE KEY SIGNATURE OFF THE BWW TUNES

• Tune Type:

• Composed By: ANDI MACINNES

• Arranged By:

• Year Composed:

philamor

THE Sharps at the beginning of the bww tunes is not needed

Post by philamor » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:33 pm

People of Viperpiperland, hear me. Look at all of my compositions and you will see that the sharps and flats are missing at the beginning of the piece, and from every line thereafter. Download any one and you will notice that it will still play in key. How is this, I hear you ask. Well, go into CONFIGURE - SET PLAY OPTIONS from the menu bar. The window opened shows the settings of, among other things - the notes. By default (at least on my version) the setting for C and F is 60 and 65 respectively, while the C# and F# are 61 and 66. Well, set the C and F to 61 and 66, then press USER DEFINED, under the OK button. Now, you can go back to the code in the tune and take out the sharps from each line of coded music, press the compile button and they will not appear in the printed tune. Play the tune now and listen to make sure the settings took place - try again if the C and F sound flat. Once the USER DEFINED button is pressed, every tune will revert to the C and F being the same as C# and F# when you then go into the CONFIGURE - SET PLAY OPTIONS and then press the USER DEFINED button in the NOTE MAPPING DEFAULTS section of the window.

If any should ask the key that the pipes are in for further musical purposes, it'a D Major - two sharps, F# and C#.

Gilbert

Post by Gilbert » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:47 pm

There's an easy way to change old .bmw files to .bww without the hassle of doing a search-and-replace that replaces the four sharps with two.

Open the old .bmw in a text editor, such as Notepad; remove the top line (Bagpipe Reader:1.0); replace it with Bagpipe Music Writer Gold:1.0; save the file.

Job done!

philamor

Still Needs Editing

Post by philamor » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:03 am

It appears you are saying that you will be left with 2 sharps instead of 4. The object of the exercise is to be rid of the sharps altogether. And there still remains the issue of changing the key within the configuration to ensure it plays correctly, setting C to C# and F to F#, see the attached picture. Please note also that the drone instrument is set to 21, it has always given a better drone sound for me, with chanter note to 71 it is quite pleasant.

Some .bmw files add extra sharps when I convert to bagpipe writer gold from older versions, some do not. I think I have old files all set the same yet converting does not always add the extra sharps, but this is a small matter when you end up with a well presented score.
Attachments
Configuration.JPG
Configuration.JPG (62.69 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
If you cannot write a tune down that you can play so that they are identical, how can you truly say you know the tune!