Auld Adam

Tunes that you can view/download. If you have any additional information on any of the tunes here feel free to share it by posting a reply. Note that only members of the "Tune Posters" group can create new posts and upload tunes here.
  • Tune Database entry
  • Tune Name: Auld Adam

• Tune Type: 6/8 March

• Composed By:

• Arranged By:

• Year Composed:

ladypiper47

Auld Adam

Post by ladypiper47 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:08 am

Here is Auld Adam
Attachments
auld Adam.mid
(8.74 KiB) Downloaded 2652 times

bertblue

Re: Auld Adam

Post by bertblue » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:56 am

This tune is NOT a "traditional" piece but was written by Pipe Major Donald Shaw Ramsay, BME, 10th Highland Light Infantry, City of Edinburgh Police Pipe Band, InverGordon Distillery Pipe Band. Just so you know.

viperpiper
Site Admin

Post by viperpiper » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:45 pm

Thanks for letting us know. I've removed the tune files, but will keep this post for future reference.

ladypiper47

Post by ladypiper47 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:46 am

Thank you for letting me know. I try checking sources but sometimes they are wrong. In this case in my Index of Tunes, it was listed as "Traditional' in the Tutor and Text Book of the Glasgow Pipe Band Assoc.

bertblue

Auld Adam

Post by bertblue » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:33 am

I believe that the copyright has expired. Don told me that the published version was incorrect in any case. I don't think you need to remove it, I just wanted him given due credit for writing a really nice little tune.

viperpiper
Site Admin

Post by viperpiper » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:13 pm

not so sure about the copyright being expired - but if you give me contact details for Donald , or have him contact me to grant permission I would love to put the tune back up with full credit to him, and getting the tune correct.

bertblue

Auld Adam

Post by bertblue » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:26 am

Sadly, Don Ramsay passed away quite a while ago. I believe he wrote that tune back in the late forties.

At twenty, Donald Shaw Ramsay was the youngest Pipe Major ever in the British Army. He led the 10th Batt. HLI onto Sword Beach at Normandy. (That would be D-Day during World War Two, for those of you scratching your heads.)

He wrote the famous tune "The 10th Battalion Highland Light Infantry Crossing the Rhine" to celebrate the first Allied unit to cross the river.

Pipe Major Ramsay, BEM, led the City of Edinburgh Police Pipe Band to win two World Championships before being shot in the stomach and forced to retire from the police force due to his injuries. He went on to be PM for The San Francisco Pipe Band, and later of course put together the world famous InverGordon Distillery Band.

He introduced the playing of hornpipes and jigs to pipe band competitions, which has led to the modern medley in competition. He was a prolific composer of beautiful tunes, an extraordinary piper, teacher and a true gentleman.

My Dad played with him in the fifties and sixties. I was lucky enough to have some lessons with him as well.

I know that CeolSean has his Edcath books available, and they deal only with expired copyrights. (I believe the books were published in '53 and '54.)

Personally, I don't believe Don would have had a problem with his music being available to the general public (the web wasn't in the truly wide-spread general use of today during his lifetime), as long as it was transcribed correctly and credited him as the composer. He allowed me to use his handwritten compositions for my students back in the days of photocopying with those two provisions.

Were it up to me, I should put it back up. I just wanted to make sure he got credit for his music.

viperpiper
Site Admin

Post by viperpiper » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:27 pm

Thanks for the information on Donald.

Do you think you could send me the correct version of the tune ?