UPDATES

Announcements, general information about the site, instructions on how to do various things, how to get involved...
viperpiper
Site Admin

UPDATES

Post by viperpiper » Sat May 01, 2004 6:55 pm

I've been working on the site for the last couple of days writing the code for the tune database. If you have had any strange error messages when trying to post, don't worry - they should be fixed now.

When a post is made in the "Compositions" or "Public Domain Tunes" fourm you now get the option to enter the tune information into the database. This information is displayed at the top of the post.

All I have to do now is to write a new page which will allow people to search the database, and perhaps an alphabetical listing. Should mangage to do that this week...
Last edited by viperpiper on Thu May 06, 2004 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

viperpiper
Site Admin

Tune Database Completed

Post by viperpiper » Thu May 06, 2004 12:27 am

If you look at the top of the page you will see a menu item which take you to the "Tune Database" page. This allows you to search all the tunes in the "Tune Files" category. The search is pretty simple right now, but I will add more advanced features as time goes on.

viperpiper
Site Admin

A couple of small bug fixes

Post by viperpiper » Thu May 06, 2004 12:31 am

I've fixed a couple of small bugs:

+ The search in the Tune Database now automatically uses wildcards so make the search easier to use.
+ Fixed a bug where if you were creating a new post in the compostitions forum and were attatching a tune, the tune database fields were lost when the page refreshed.

viperpiper
Site Admin

Post by viperpiper » Mon May 10, 2004 2:02 pm

Added a software downloads section to the forum, and uploaded a wee Tune Renaming utility I wrote.

If you have written any sort of piping related software and would like to make it available then contact me.

viperpiper
Site Admin

Invasion of the spam bots.

Post by viperpiper » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:58 am

I noticed a few dodgy looking username registrations with their websites pointing to totally unrelated commercial/scam websites. Turns out the spammers are at it again with a spam robot that targets this forum software and registers users with a certain website in an attempt to push up their rankings in Google. :evil:

Luckily I found and applied a modification which should keep the bot's out. Now when someone registers they have to type in a validation code (which the bot's can't read).

So we are safe from the spam bots again.....untill the next time..........

viperpiper
Site Admin

Updated tune renamer utility

Post by viperpiper » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:10 pm

I've updated the Tune Renamer utility (to version 1.1) so it now works with PiobMaster files. The utility can be downloaded from the "Software Downloads" forum.

viperpiper
Site Admin

New hosting

Post by viperpiper » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:36 am

If you have been having problems getting this site over the past few days then my appologies. I was upgrading my hosting package to get more bandwidth and disk space and ended up having to resore the site from a backup.

Anyway - things should be working properly again.

I've added a couple of new forums - a drum score request forum and a picture post forum. Have fun :D

viperpiper
Site Admin

Post by viperpiper » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:56 pm

Since moving the site has not been running very fast, so my hosting company are going to do some things to sort this out. This may mean that the site will be unavailable for 24-48 hours. Sorry about this, but hopefully they will fix the problem.

viperpiper
Site Admin

Post by viperpiper » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:55 pm

Ahhhh - thats better! My web site hosts kindly migrated the site to another of their servers and things seem to be running a lot better now.

A few recent additions to the site:

+ Added a drum score request forum.
+ Added the "Piping Picture Post" - share your pictures with us!
+ Added a "Make a Donation" button so you can help me by contributing to the running costs of the site.

viperpiper
Site Admin

Oops

Post by viperpiper » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:09 am

Sorry about the site being down yesterday - I had forgotten to renew my domain name.

viperpiper
Site Admin

Post by viperpiper » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:52 pm

I've put alphabetical listing links on the Tune Database page. Pretty rough and ready but they should do the trick.

viperpiper
Site Admin

Post by viperpiper » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:17 am

Sorry for the site being down yesterday - another hacking attempt :evil:

All is well now :D

viperpiper
Site Admin

Site not working for the past few days

Post by viperpiper » Sat May 06, 2006 6:41 pm

Hi,

Sorry about the site not working for the past few days - took me a while to find out what was wrong (corrupted database tables) but 'tis all good now :-)

viperpiper
Site Admin

Site downtime

Post by viperpiper » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:46 pm

Well that is about the longest ever the site has been down. Hope nobody got withdrawal symptoms ;-)

I changed my credit card and forgot to update my billing profile. All fixed now - welcome back!

viperpiper
Site Admin

Changing servers

Post by viperpiper » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:52 pm

Hi,

Sometime over the next week I will be moving the site to a different hosting server. During that period there may be times when the site is not accessible.

The address of the site will remain unchanged at www.viperpiper.org

I'll post another update when the move is finished.