It's a Drag

A great place to find new tunes. If you have composed your own tune, you can upload it here to let other pipers learn it and perhaps get some feedback. PLEASE ONLY UPLOAD TUNES YOU HAVE COMPOSED YOURSELF OR HAVE EXPRESS PERMISION FROM THE COMPOSER TO DO SO.
Please only create a new topic in this forum if you are uploading a tune.
  • Tune Database entry
  • Tune Name: It's A Drag

• Tune Type: 6/8 Jig

• Composed By: Jake Shafer

• Arranged By: Jake Shafer

• Year Composed: 2006

Elias

It's a Drag

Post by Elias » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:45 am

My bagpipe teacher Jake Shafer has asked me to put this song up for a while and see what you fellow bagpipers thought. He asks if he could change anything to make it better.

After a week or so I will take this song off of this site.
Attachments
IT's a Drag.jpg
IT's a Drag.jpg (112.88 KiB) Viewed 6813 times
DragB.bww
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 639 times
mid.mid
(3.76 KiB) Downloaded 668 times
Last edited by Elias on Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

philamor

Changes

Post by philamor » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:22 pm

Well, Elias, what changes indeed. I have set the BWW out a bit better (lost the 6/8 from each line. I have also included a copy of the layout of the text, which for me helps me locate a bar or a note in a bar easily as the text is spaced out between beat groups (usethe TAB or even put in the word 'space' - lower case - where you require the spacing and the prinout will be more pleasing to read. Just small cosmetic things. I hope the attchment keeps the same order

The tune itself - I have put in a dg - D gracenote here and there, plus one or two gg - G gracenotes, but these are purely from a personal point of view as a tutuor and thinking about guys playing together from a Pipe Major and band point of view, again my preferences. Also, where's the other parts? There seems a lot of scope here for more. Nice syncopation used throughout.

As you see, these are mostly cosmetic things, the meldy stands up. Just attention to the detail of the text will also help you formulate the tune in your head, though. Terribly untidy text, fairly jumbled idea of the tune in your head. If you cannot write the tune correctly, yet you play it correclty, you must have two different things in your head for the same tune, which cannot be a ggod idea, surely. I refer to hand writing of tunes, but the text for the BWW does stand up to the same scrutiny. Good layout for the BWW, good layout in your mind, good rendition of the piece. Discipline, that's the key. Shorthand for just getting the tune down for later working, but final piece as you see it in your mind.

Anyway, who needs the lecture. Your own tutor will give you all this and more, no doubt. keep composing and see if there might be more parts for this jig.

Cheers,

Andi - philamor
Attachments
DragB.bww
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
DragBjpg.jpg
DragBjpg.jpg (112.88 KiB) Viewed 6819 times

Elias

Post by Elias » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:39 am

Thanks. I'll send the complements and changes to Jake.