GENESIS SUITE - Plainsong & Antiphon

A great place to find new tunes. If you have composed your own tune, you can upload it here to let other pipers learn it and perhaps get some feedback. PLEASE ONLY UPLOAD TUNES YOU HAVE COMPOSED YOURSELF OR HAVE EXPRESS PERMISION FROM THE COMPOSER TO DO SO.
Please only create a new topic in this forum if you are uploading a tune.
  • Tune Database entry
  • Tune Name: Genesis Suite

• Tune Type: 5/4 - Suite

• Composed By: David N. Siegel

• Arranged By:

• Year Composed: 2006

david n. siegel

GENESIS SUITE - Plainsong & Antiphon

Post by david n. siegel » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:48 am

An experimental suite - not yet finished!

The most well-known form of Plainsong is the Gregorian Chant (MacGregorian chant?). I hope I have done this beautiful form of music justice here. The return to the E in each bar is deliberate.

This Plainsong will be played by a solo piper, with the band coming in on the next, the Antiphonic part.

An Antiphon is a classic Question & Answer form of choral music, with the choir split between two sides of the hall. One side sings the "question," and the other sings the "answer."

Here, the 1,3,5 etc. bars are the "question" phrases, and the 2,4,6 etc. bars are the "answer" phrases. Rather than start and stop two groups of pipers, I foresee a light, delicate use of the snare on the "answer" bars to give the desired impression of a reply.

The last bar in each part is the "resolution" phrase.

I use a "splash" harmony on the long notes--three notes together.

ADDED NOTE: Since sharper and flatter chanter tunings affect the chords to some extent (esp. use of High G, and D), I am still not certain on this.

As said, a work in progress.

Thanks for listening,
-David.
Attachments
Plainsong_&_Antiphon_CORRECTED_FINAL_4_JAN_07.GIF
Plainsong_&_Antiphon_CORRECTED_FINAL_4_JAN_07.GIF (26.01 KiB) Viewed 7901 times
plainsong_antiphon_ONLY.mid
(9.27 KiB) Downloaded 796 times
Plainsong_&_Antiphon_ONLY.bww
(3.18 KiB) Downloaded 767 times
Last edited by david n. siegel on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

awpiper

Post by awpiper » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:02 am

The only word that comes to mind is WOW!.....Very ominous tune.....I can think of about 20 tunes to go with it right now.....I can't wait to see what else you add to it!.....As normal David....Very nice chune!
Mark
Cait Am Biodh Na Puirt Nach Faigheadh Na Piobairean
(Where would the tunes be the pipers could not find)

Aaronjw
Post by Aaronjw » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:28 am

Wow, that's lovely! What are your rules about other people playing your tunes in public? :D