synthetic chanter reeds

Place to blether and haver ;-)
bluefly

synthetic chanter reeds

Post by bluefly » Tue May 04, 2010 12:22 am

Any one had any contact with the Clanrye synthetic pipe chanter reeds.

Would be interested in your opinion.

Duffer

Synthetic pipe chanter reeds

Post by Duffer » Thu May 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Hello there, I haven't personally had any experience with synthetic pipe chanter reeds, but I do know that there is an alternative to the Clanryre reed, which has had some dodgy reviews. 'Bagpipes Galore,' in Edinburgh (it does sound like a tourist trap, but it really isn't,) have recently started doing synthetic chanter reeds in soft and medium strengths, they have sound clips of the reed on their website www.bagpipe.co.uk. As far as the shop goes, I have a set of their 'practice pipes' and they are pretty good.

bluefly

Post by bluefly » Thu May 06, 2010 10:35 pm

Many thanks for the reply.
I will have a look at the site you mentioned.

Greg_in_London

Post by Greg_in_London » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:21 pm

I did buy a Clanrye reed about fifteen-eighteen years ago and was never very happy with it, but it could have been the poor quality chanter I had at the time. It came with a bridle that broke and I could not replace that, which really didn't help.

Fifteen years on, maybe they're better.
better sharp than out of tune

bluefly

Post by bluefly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:00 pm

Thanks Greg,
I have heard from other pipers around Australia and overseas that know of the Clanrye and by almost all accounts they are not much good except to a learner as they are easy to blow.

Greg_in_London

Post by Greg_in_London » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:13 pm

On another thread someone asked about McLaren Synthetic Chanter Reeds.

I know absolutely nothing about them, but maybe if there is more than one type on the market they will start to get better.

SpicyMcHaggis
Post by SpicyMcHaggis » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:19 pm

ive played a Clanrye, easy to blow, little to no weather induced fluxuation, I live up in Canada where the winters are cold and often we get freak rain from out of nowhere, asidefrom a few cold weather gigs (funerals/rememberance day) i wouldnt recommend it. Cane is much better as "broken in" reeds are unique to the set up and player, synthetics have no flux and sound like crap... If one of the piping judges p here caught you playing one youd probably get an earful and a half... just sayin

*editted to add "nt' to would*
Last edited by SpicyMcHaggis on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg_in_London

Post by Greg_in_London » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Sorry Spicy - I don't get you. You said that you'd recommend the Clanrye because apart from very cold weather, they're pretty stable. Then you said that you'd steer clear because they sound horrible and cane is better.

Or are you just saying that you like them in the rain, but not when anyone else that knows pipes is listening ?

SpicyMcHaggis
Post by SpicyMcHaggis » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:27 am

Greg_in_London wrote:Sorry Spicy - I don't get you. You said that you'd recommend the Clanrye because apart from very cold weather, they're pretty stable. Then you said that you'd steer clear because they sound horrible and cane is better.

Or are you just saying that you like them in the rain, but not when anyone else that knows pipes is listening ?
my apologies if that came out wrong, i steer clear unless its -40C with snow etc and I have to play... but they easy to blow (meaning less volume of sound)... so in short, i ONLY play it in cold weather because its too hard on Cane to be played in -40 (excluding windchill)

SpicyMcHaggis
Post by SpicyMcHaggis » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:53 pm

and in regards to the "when people are around" comment, that was only several judges etc in the area... I was privelidged enough to go to school with many people who later joined Alberta Caledonia, and still know a few of their players today, even tho many have moved on... if one of them caught me with a synthetic reed id probably need afdvil to calm the swelling of getting smacked upside the head repeatedly... make sense now?

Greg_in_London

Post by Greg_in_London » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:35 pm

That makes more sense.

If it ever drops below zero/freezing at all, then that's cold enough to stop playing, I must admit.

SpicyMcHaggis
Post by SpicyMcHaggis » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:00 pm

once again tho... I live in Edmonton Alberta... BIG Military City, cold tempratures and its a dry cold... a Cane reed may not withstand the temperatures when its being played (moist) in -40 for rememberance day or a funeral etc... mostly I try to play inside, but the Legionaires here are pretty tough and brave the weather for their comrades memories...