Onwards and Upwards - Jig

A great place to find new tunes. If you have composed your own tune, you can upload it here to let other pipers learn it and perhaps get some feedback. PLEASE ONLY UPLOAD TUNES YOU HAVE COMPOSED YOURSELF OR HAVE EXPRESS PERMISION FROM THE COMPOSER TO DO SO.
Please only create a new topic in this forum if you are uploading a tune.
  • Tune Database entry
  • Tune Name: Onwards and Upwards

• Tune Type: 6/8 Jig

• Composed By: B. J. McLaughlin

• Arranged By:

• Year Composed: 2005

smithers

Onwards and Upwards - Jig

Post by smithers » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:15 am

Your thoughts?
Attachments
Onwards and Upwards.bww
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 1080 times

Police Piper

Post by Police Piper » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:49 am

i thought this was the best of your four recently added compositions. again it runs well, probably sound best coming from a solo piper than a band. well done mate, u have a great talent. cheers,
jordan.
Police Piper

awpiper

Post by awpiper » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:42 am

I would agree with police piper "in part".....Great tune.....I like Bloody Fish better.......Great show of talent........as I have said previously......GET THESE TUNES OUT TO THE TOP NAMES IN PIPING!!!!!!......they are too good to sit idle......too many of the "new" tunes have styling of other composers such as Neil Dickie,Michael Grey......your tunes are unique!......Please keep sharing them....and if we can be of any help improving or sending them on to other pipers let us know.....That is what these forums are for after all.........Cheers!
Cait Am Biodh Na Puirt Nach Faigheadh Na Piobairean
(Where would the tunes be the pipers could not find)

NessieNoo

Post by NessieNoo » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:55 am

I think this was my favourite of the four as well. I changed the second part to use the second half of the first part on its repeat (2 of 2) - I think it brings the theme back as the tune finishes.

I also loved The Nippler. That second part has a real drilling/driving effect that works well.

Bloody Fish is a good tune - I think Bminor is a great key for jigs and the mode shift in the second part is a winner.

Speed Up The Connection has a good theme but it needs something else. The first triplet in bars 2 and 6 of the first part need a wee bit more oomph. I tried DBE instead of BAG but that wasn't it either.

These are all great tunes - I just wish I was a good enough player to do them justice. I look forward to hearing them on the boards at next year's nationals(?!).

Simon

cambusbarron

Post by cambusbarron » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:05 pm

Well done a fine tune, good rythmic flow and balance.

Stewart

ppinghotfingers08

Post by ppinghotfingers08 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:22 pm

Wonderful Tune.

I've been playing this for a couple years now.

Also, my band is playing it next year in our medley.
It's not a fanny pack! It's a sporran!