6/8 March - Suckling Penguins - 1st writing attempt

A great place to find new tunes. If you have composed your own tune, you can upload it here to let other pipers learn it and perhaps get some feedback. PLEASE ONLY UPLOAD TUNES YOU HAVE COMPOSED YOURSELF OR HAVE EXPRESS PERMISION FROM THE COMPOSER TO DO SO.
Please only create a new topic in this forum if you are uploading a tune.

Is there any merit in this tune?

Yes, I like it.
20%
Its OK, but it needs work
40%
Don't quit your day job....
40%

Total votes: 5

• Tune Database entry
  • Tune Name: Suckling Penguins

• Tune Type: 6/8 March

• Composed By: M. Betz

• Arranged By:

• Year Composed: 2006

PiperDeamus

6/8 March - Suckling Penguins - 1st writing attempt

Post by PiperDeamus » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:10 pm

This is my first attempt at writing, although I've been playing for about 30 years. Please give me your opinion and let me know if I should write some more or go back to just playing.
Attachments
SucklingPenguins.bww
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 539 times

clanpiper

Post by clanpiper » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:53 pm

Hi Mike,

I think your tune is a good effort (especially for a fist attempt) but IMHO it needs some work. The B uptake in the 2nd part doesn’t fit, have you tried C? You use it in the 2nd line. Also the HG 4th Part 2nd Bar doesn’t work at all.

Cheers Benedikt

philamor

Post by philamor » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:11 pm

Agree with the comments above, Mike, from clanpiper, but all is not lost. I enclose a copy of the tune with the 4th part 1st bar 2nd beat altered to suit the HG that clanpiper doesn't like, but now sounds fine I think. I have also added a dg in the appropriate places in the bars to help with timing, I feel - but only an opinion mind. There are one or two other areas where a wee tinkering would personally help witht eh melodic continuity, but essentialy the tune is fine. I have also changed the gracenote length to as more realistic speed, which lends to the swing too.

Hope the changed beat is OK.
Attachments
SucklingPenguinsB.bww
Hope this helps
(2.48 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
If you cannot write a tune down that you can play so that they are identical, how can you truly say you know the tune!