Soldier Magazine 1978

Got a camera phone, scanner or digital camera? Then post your piping pictures here. Just be aware that that any inappropriate pictures will be dealt with a severe lack of sense of humour.
Seahorse

Soldier Magazine 1978

Post by Seahorse » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:39 pm

Good Grief! I found this in an archived copy of Soldier Magazine. I remember the pic being taken, and I even remember the article being published. Unfortunately, the waistline is a VERY distant memory. I know it's under there somewhere now, though.

I like to think of it as additional protection, courtesy of Mr. Arthur Guinness. :lol:
Attachments
soldiermag_78.jpg
soldiermag_78.jpg (50.58 KiB) Viewed 14371 times

JOHN MACDONALD

Post by JOHN MACDONALD » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:36 pm

SO DO LET US KNOW WHERE THAT WAS TAKEN AND A BIT MORE ABOUT YOURSELF THEN?
John A.B. MacDonald

Skibum346

Post by Skibum346 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Given the dates of the posts above I very much doubt the person is still around.

However.... if he is... I recognise the outline of that church... indeed.. a mere 3 years later that was the place and the band I first learn to play.

For those not in the know... The outline of the church is the main church at the bottom of the parade square at the Army Apprentice College - Harrogate. A Royal Corps of Signals junior leaders trade and military college.

The "apprentices" there had to choose a hobby to take part in two nights a week of their first two terms. Pipe band was one.

It was supported by a Pipe Sergeant posted in as Pipe Major from one of the (then) many Scottish regiments. Myfirst was a Royal Scot called Stu Burns, the other was an Argyle & Sutherland Highlander called Willie Gordon.

I had a fab time with the band. In my days we had a very full military gig list (ooficers and sergeants mess functions) as well as two or three times a week playing at a variety of civilian functions.

So... I hope that has helped for anyone who wondered about the origins of the cryptic picture!

:D

Seahorse

Post by Seahorse » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks for that Skibum. I've only just rediscovered this site as I was under the impression it was long since defunct. Glad to see I was wrong.

And yup, the pic is from (I think) 1978. The churches are no longer there as the whole college was demolished and rebuilt as an Army Foundation College. Being a "band rat" though was a great excuse for missing all sorts of militery boolshhet, as we were often busy, as Skibum pointed out, with functions and parades elsewhere. Of note was a rather drunken Town Twinning ceremony in France, fine upstanding ambassadors that we were. :D