THE CADENCE OF THE LOOM (March)

A great place to find new tunes. If you have composed your own tune, you can upload it here to let other pipers learn it and perhaps get some feedback. PLEASE ONLY UPLOAD TUNES YOU HAVE COMPOSED YOURSELF OR HAVE EXPRESS PERMISION FROM THE COMPOSER TO DO SO.
Please only create a new topic in this forum if you are uploading a tune.
  • Tune Database entry

david n. siegel

THE CADENCE OF THE LOOM (March)

Post by david n. siegel » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:45 pm

A newish tune. I welcome critique if anyone finds a spot which just doesn't go. Otherwise, enjoy.

David of Galilee

<edited - added some other file formats - viperpiper>
Attachments
1 March2-4 CADENCE OF LOOM, THE.gif
1 March2-4 CADENCE OF LOOM, THE.gif (18.69 KiB) Viewed 11852 times
1 March2-4 CADENCE OF LOOM, THE.mid
(9.89 KiB) Downloaded 1393 times
The Cadence Of Loom.abc
(1.19 KiB) Downloaded 819 times
1 March2-4 CADENCE OF LOOM, THE.bww
Inspired by a visit to a large really touristy mill/eatery etc. for those unlucky to enter Scotland up the west side. The cafeteria had haggis, the PA system Christmas tunes on the pipes, but the mill was actually quite interesting. The regular sound of
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 1155 times
Last edited by david n. siegel on Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ladypiper47

Post by ladypiper47 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:30 pm

WONDERFUL, I loved it so much I sent it on to our PM - maybe he will like it enough to have the band play it.

philamor

Post by philamor » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:41 pm

[size=18]Hi, Just listened to The Cadence of Loom. Must say I like the style, though I feel the last two notes of each 7th bar could do with accenting like the rest. Should it be, or not? Nice, though.

Cheers,

Andi :)

david n. siegel

Post by david n. siegel » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:21 am

The last two notes of the 7th bar are even to give a more melodic sense to the ending. Quite a few pipe music settings defaults to rhythm over melody. Many Scottish songs which are also played as pipe tunes get over-pointed, and no longer fit the words. I am always mindful of a 2-4 competition years ago, with Seamus MacNeill judging, when he said that I was over-pointing Cowal Highland Gathering, and he noted that some of the "dotted 16th/32nd" note sequences which I had played were not actually written thus, but in fact as "16th/16th" notes. In my tune, I just liked the light, final break from heavier pointing. To Dot&Cut, or not, is, however, a quasi-religious matter in the end. Your suggestion would not be a bad one, however. I'm afraid I'm stuck on the slight opening up of the ending. Lots to say for two notes!

Thanks for the input.