Pipebag Seasoning?

Place to blether and haver ;-)
Ron McClure
Pipebag Seasoning?

Post by Ron McClure » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:45 pm

Have a Bannatyne Hide /w Synthetic inside and I am losing air around the goose neck area of the chanter stock area. This is only a small area of approx 2". Can I use Airtight in the area to help seal the air leaks? Will it work thru the synthetic. Your thoughts
Kip

ladypiper47

Post by ladypiper47 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:55 pm

I'm not an expert on seasoning, we have used synthetic bags in our band for many years but I was told that seasoning does not work in the synthetic bags. Also it wouldn't be absorbed by the lining so the material would gum up the insides perhaps.

MajikPipeR

Post by MajikPipeR » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:20 am

Don't use seasoning in a synthetic bag. But perhaps a sealant kit for an innertube would work work?
-mattt

Watch Tartanvision.TV, the video podcast about Scottish and Irish sports, arts, and entertainment. Available only at http://www.tartanvision.tv!

Greg_in_London

Post by Greg_in_London » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:38 pm

First question is whether the bag has a zip.

I used to have a hybrid Shepherd bag - synthetic inner and hide outer.

When it started leaking, there seemed to be sections of the hide bag that were leaking in a porous-sort-of-way. In reality, though, it could have been leaking at some distance from these areas and travelling along a gap between the two skins.

I had some success with seam sealant - a clear plastic (polyurethane?) sealant sold in camping shops for repairing tents and waterproofs.

If you can't get inside, it's more difficult...

[EDIT: I mean using the sealant wherever the bag is damaged ON THE INSIDE - not on the hide on the outside]
better sharp than out of tune